Why Study Art at CSP? If you?re checking out colleges?and are looking to study art ? consider the following:
- We are part of a small, Christian, (but diverse), urban, comprehensive university. The advantages of studying art in an urban setting are huge: arts organizations, galleries, museums, exhibition opportunities, internships, arts related jobs, and a vibrant music and theatre community as well.
- You will be taught only by professors holding the highest degrees in their fields.
- Our art faculty and students all know and support each other, and enjoy socializing together.
- We are a laptop campus so one of your most powerful learning/teaching tools is with you 24/7.
- You are able to make connections to a program flexible enough to meet your individual needs.
- We do emphasize the necessity of hard work to make it in our programs and the field of art. (We know that artists are not born, but made through learning the discipline. It?s a tough field.)
- We are intent upon setting you up for the future. We?ll do our part. (We ask you to do yours.)
CSP ART OPPORTUNITIES
- The Art Department provides opportunities to explore Ceramics, (wheel throwing and hand building, and low temp. to high firings from Raku to electric to gas to wood), Drawing, (with pencil, charcoal, brush and ink, oil pastels, etc.), Design Fields, Digital Design, Painting, (with acrylics or oils, etc.), Photography, Printmaking Fields, (including Woodcut, Linocut, Screenprinting, Intaglio, Etching, Monoprint, Collagraph, Digital and Photographic applications), and Sculpture, (from small pedestal pieces to site specific installation work).
- The new Design Major is flexible enough to allow you to prepare for careers in a wide variety of design fields, (from Graphic Design to Computer Animation), providing internship opportunities and drawing on the many resources of the Twin Cities.
- Our Art Ed program is very well respected in the community. We place our graduates with relative ease and are frequently requested to send our Student Teachers and job applicants to schools because we are told that they are so well prepared!
- CSP?s Art Department has a totally unique Community Arts program. There are three universities in the nation with a Community Arts Major. Ours was the second established. It teaches a fresh approach to using the arts for community building and social justice purposes. Wow!
- The Art Department maintains the Concordia Art Collection with works by renowned artists such as Henri Matisse, Honore Daumier, Paul Signac, Marisol, Kathe Kollwitz, Leonard Baskin, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali and many others.
- The Art Department runs a professional artist gallery program throughout each academic year, as well as the H.Williams Teaching Gallery devoted mostly to showing CSP student artwork.
- The Art Department offers many off-campus art experiences ranging from field trips to local museums to educational trips out of the country such as our biennial trip to Mexico. We support off-campus internships as well, either with local businesses and non-profits like Arts Us and Farm in the City, or with such notable teaching organizations like the HECUA City Arts program.
- The Art Department also supports an active Art Club on campus.
- We have small class sizes allowing individualized instruction with good teacher to student ratios.
- You will have 24 hour safe, secure access to studios when enrolled in the studio course.
- We have ample exhibition and juried exhibition experience for students.
- You have access to most Twin Cities university libraries with delivery to Concordia?s campus.
- We have relatively close art supply outlets, although many supplies are provided by the school.
We offer portfolio based art scholarships for art majors, or students considering an art major. These are available for in-coming first year students, continuing students switching to an art major, and transfer students. These are in addition to other scholarships that you might receive from CSP or elsewhere, such as academic scholarships or athletic scholarships. These can build in size based on the quality of your work in the department, as well as your participation in the life of the department. (Our portfolio reviews are very casual and you do not have to be an accomplished artist to receive a scholarship. ? We can teach any student who is interested in learning the field.)
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN ART
Despite of the myth of the starving artist there are many careers in art and high demand for people with a good work ethic and good preparation in the field. CSP successfully places its art graduates. We have grads who have worked, or are working in
- computer animation
- graphic design
- art appraisal and restoration
- art therapy
- graduate schools and university level teaching
- art education
- non-profit arts administration
Concordia has significant facilities dedicated to the visual arts. NOTE: Other fine and performing arts facilities at CSP include a theatre education building dedicated in 1994featuring a Dance studio, Black Box Theatre and Main Stage Theatre as well as spaces for scenic design, props, costuming, etc. This building is directly connected to an ?all-Steinway? music building with practice spaces and a large recital hall.
CSP?s Art Faculty is dedicated to teaching you, the individual student. We connect with our students. We help them connect with and excel in their areas of interest. And we prepare them to connect to the professional world beyond school. In short, we help students find their own voices in art.