Arndt Science Hall
The Arndt Science Hall was constructed in 1965, and rededicated in 1989 following remodeling and completion of the facilities. These changes included remodeling and expansion of the physics and chemistry areas, and development of new laboratories in biology, science methods and research facilities. New audio-visual facilities, faculty offices, and general modernization also were included in this project. Professor Edward L. Arndt, in whose memory the building is named, served at Concordia from 1897-1910 as the "first professor of science" and taught physics, geology, botany, zoology, and physiology.
Art Department Building
The art department moved into this building in 2004. The facility houses offices for the art faculty as well as two separate art galleries. There are also work spaces for student artists to utilize.
During the first 50 years of the university's existence the library was housed in various rooms of the classroom buildings. A new and separate library building was constructed in 1951. In 1984 the library was expanded, renovated and rededicated. The building is named in honor of Dr. Theodore Buenger, Concordia's first president, who served in that capacity from 1893-1927, and continued as a faculty member until 1943. In 2003, the Buenger Library was replaced by the Library Technology Center(LTC) as the university's main library. The stack area of Buenger will continue to provide storage for part of the library's collection. The renovated space now houses a large conference and events space that hosts conferences and community events. The office of admission is also housed in part of the renovated Buenger Library space. The Concordia bookstore is located in the lower level of the Buenger Center.
Library Technology Center
The Library Technology Center, completed in 2003, provides students, faculty, and staff with books, periodicals, music scores, compact discs, videotapes, and other types of resources necessary for the academic community. It houses the help desk, reference desk, and circulation desk to facilitate communication with Informational and Technology staff. the lower lever houses the majority of the approximately 124,000 circulating collection of books, and also provides space for special collections, meeting rooms, and staff offices. The circulation desk and reference desk, as well as the curriculum and reference collections, are located on the main floor of the building. The upper level of the building features seven state-of-the-art classrooms.
Herbert P. Buetow Memorial Music Center
Constructed in 1972, the 31,000-square-foot music center was named in honor of the late Herbert P. Buetow, a St. Paul industrialist, philanthropist and Lutheran Layman. The Center includes piano and organ studios and practice stations; choral, orchestra, and band rooms; general classrooms; art exhibit area; and faculty offices. The uniquely designed recital hall, seating nearly 500 people, also houses the 44 rank Schlicker concert organ, a gift from local entrepreneurs, Mr. and Mrs. Paul A Schilling.
Constructed in 1917, the classroom building was Concordia's first administration building. An excellent example of eclectic architecture, the front entrance is surrounded by a magnificent Tudor-style stone arch trimmed with rosettes in the form of Luther's coat of arms. The university seal is carved near the top of the building. Although primarily used for instructional purposes, the building also accommodates a few administrative offices.
The Dining Hall is located at the northern end of the campus' six main buildings which form a corridor. The Dinning Hall is on the second floor, while the Hoffmann Institute and Health Center are located on the top floor, and the President's Dining Room is on the lower level.
Gangelhoff Center was completed in 1993 and is named after the benefactors, Ronald and Doris Gangelhoff. The center serves the university's academic, health, physical fitness, and recreational needs. This magnificent structure features a 45,000-square-foot arena that boasts four full-size basketball courts; a 200-meter running track; an arena floor that accommodates basketball, volleyball, tennis, badminton, and indoor soccer; a strength and conditioning room; the Sandberg classroom and lounge areas for breakout sessions including a concession stand for refreshments and a fully staffed athletic training department. The Gangelhoff Center arena has a seating capacity of over 3,000 and has hosted athletic tournaments, conventions, concerts and trade shows.
Graebner Memorial Chapel
Graebner Memorial Chapel, built in 1911, is the oldest building on campus. Initially it served as the school's gymnasium until the transformation into a modern chapel was completed in 1955. It currently accommodates approximately 250 people. The chapel is named for Dr. Martin Adolph Henry Graebner, who served as second president of Concordia from 1927-1946.
The top floors of Luther Hall serve as student housing, however the lower level houses the majority of the Student Affairs offices and other administrative offices. The Poehler Administration Building was attached to Luther Hall and the Classroom Building in 1979, resulting in a corridor connecting six of the campus' main buildings.
Lutheran Memorial Center(LMC)
The Lutheran Memorial Center was completed in 1953 and is dedicated to those young men and women who lost their lives during World War II. The building houses the College of Graduate and Continuing Studies, which includes the Concordia School of Accelerated Learning, the Concordia School of Human Services, the graduate programs, and continuing education. The LMC also houses athletic department offices, and locker room and weight facilities for the football team.
Poehler Administration Building
Partially completed in 1970 and finished in 1979, this three-story structure houses several of Concordia's administrative offices; the College of Education; department of religion and theology; department of social and behavioral sciences; department of English; department of communication studies; department of business and public policy; department of modern languages; department of history; and the College of Vocation and Ministry. The building is named in honor of Concordia's third president, Dr. William A. Poehler, who served from 1946-1970.
The Student Union contains the snack bar, student senate offices, student campus mailboxes, lounges and recreational areas. Completed in 1972, this structure received nationwide attention and a merit award by the Minnesota Society of Architects for design excellence, sensitivity to human and functional needs and the building environment. The Union Station Restaurant was added in 2001.
Theater Arts Center
The Concordia Theater Arts Center, which is connected to the Buetow Music Center, was completed in 1994. The new facility supports theatre education and experiences for students as well as community audiences. It houses the 350-seat flexible proscenium E.M. Pearson Theater; rehearsal, dance, costume, and scenery studios; theatrical classrooms; a 100-seat black box theatre laboratory; elevator orchestra pit; state-of-the-art lighting and sound control systems; and offices.