In view of the global thrust of the University Honors Program in litteris fideque, participants will complete the Language/Global Requirement prior to graduation from Concordia.
The requirement may be met in one of three ways:
1. Prior to enrollment in the Honors Program students may demonstrate that they have met the requirement through one of three types of testing:
- A minimum score of 4 or 5 on a foreign language AP test
- A minimum score of 650 on a foreign language achievement test (SAT II)
- Students for whom English is their second language are deemed to have met the competency if they score 250 or higher on the computer-based TOEFL.
2. Students may meet the requirement by taking classes in an ancient or modern foreign langauge while at Concordia. Students using this option must complete second-year (200-level), university language work with a grade of 3.0 or above.
3. Students may meet the requirement by participating in a university-level semester-abroad program in a non-English speaking country. Programs must be approved by the University Honors Program prior to participation.
Although some foreign language study is desirable prior to beginning the University Honors Program, ability in a foreign language is NOT a prerequisite for admission.