Google ScholarGoogle Scholar makes it possible to search for scholarly literature on the web. Using this tool, one can find peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports in many disciplines.
Google Scholar offers both Basic Scholar Search and Advanced Scholar Search options. The basic search looks the same as Google's regular basic search. The advanced search allows for more accurate and effective searching with the following tools:
- Specify whether to search for ALL of the words, with an EXACT PHRASE, with AT LEAST ONE of the words, WITHOUT certain words
- Search in a particular domain (e.g. .edu, .org, .gov, etc.)
- Search by author or publication information
- Limit to broad areas of study
Positive aspects: Google Scholar is a helpful tool for finding out about the existence of scholarly resources beyond the library's catalog and subscription databases.
Negative aspects: Not everything found with Google Scholar is available in full text through Google Scholar. If you are not finding full text, take the citations you do find and search Journal Finder or CLICnet to find out if you have access to the full text via Concordia or set your preferences to show when full text is available through Concordia's online collection (see below for instructions on setting your preferences). You can also request the resource via interlibrary loan. Also, Google Scholar does not offer a controlled vocabulary (e.g. Subject Headings in CLICnet), so this makes searching Google Scholar less precise than searching a database.
Customizing Google Scholar for Your Library
Setting Google Scholar to link to Concordia University Library's holdings
- Go to Google Scholar.
You can do this in a couple of ways.
- One option is to choose more from the Google homepage, www.google.com.
- Then choose "Scholar" from the list.
- You can also go directly to http://scholar.google.com.
- Select "Scholar Preferences," found next to the search box.
- Type "Concordia University" in the "Library Links" search box.
- Click on "Find Library."
- Place a check in the "Concordia University, St. Paul" box, and click on "Save Preferences."
- Perform a search and any items with online holdings at Concordia will have a link to those items.