Life Experience Essays General Information
Degree seeking students who are accepted at Concordia University, St. Paul may participate in the credits for life experience program.
A life experience essay documents the learning an individual gained through a personal expereince that is college credit worthy. The goal is for the writer to demonstrate knowledge of over arching principles, and higher level transferable concepts that are equivalent to a college course of study.
Essays are submitted through the The School of Continuing Studies (SCS) website, however, SCS does not advise students on essay composition, content or formatting, this information is provided in the essay writing steps posted on this website. Students seeking guidance beyond the posted information are encouraged to enroll in the Constructing Life Experience Essay course, search for this class on the Continuing Studies' Search for Classes page, and choose "Life Experience Essay Writing Class" in the drop down category list.
To submit an essay for credit accepted students must be in good standing with Concordia with no academic or financial holds. Only essays are accepted through the submission link, students will be contacted if further documentation is required.
1) The School of Continuing Studies (SCS) receives essays that are submitted online.
Note: Essays will only be accepted if $125 payment is included.
2) Essays are delivered to faculty who are experts in the academic area correlating with the essay topic as indicated by the student on the submission forms.
3) The faculty readers evaluate the learning gained through an experience for equivalent college level coursework and awards 0 through 4 credits.
4) Essays and completed evaluation sheets are returned to students typically within two weeks. Students will either receive credit for essays or allowed one rewrite. Rewrites must be completed within 90 days of receiving rewrite notification.
5) Rewritten essay submissions do not require additional payment. Essay rewrites are returned to the faculty reader for final evaluation. Student will either be awarded credit or no credit.
Submitting essays for general education requirements:
Essays intended to satisfy general education courses must be preapproved by the academic department in the College of Arts and Sciences prior to submission. To receive pre-approval send a brief (1-2 paragraphs) description of the concrete experience and the knowledge that you will demonstrate in the essay. Also include the title of the general education course and course objectives, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org and this proposal will be sent to the appropriate department who will notify SCS if the student's may submitt an essay to will be evaluated.