The Science Research Institute (SRI)2011-2012 Program
SRI is a unique program that brings together high school students, college students, high school faculty and college faculty to engage in science and to encourage and better equip students to pursue careers in the sciences. This program is geared towards juniors and seniors in high school with preference given to students who attend urban schools.
The SRI program is a collaboration between Northwestern College and Concordia University that includes a summer research component and an academic year component. During the summer research component research teams will examine various aspect of science and math, conducting experiments and working together to perform a research project. The summer component is five weeks long, four hours each day. The learning that occurs during the summer component is reinforced by activities during the academic year component. Students, and faculty meet monthly for activities such as presenting the research projects from summer to school, sessions to learn more about college admissions, fun activities like going to the Science Museum of MN and touring local biotechnology companies.
We invite high school teachers and students to participate. There is no cost and you can earn a stipend for your participation.
For more infomation, download the 2011-2012 Brochure.
Would you like to advertise our program? Poster
Drs. Leanne Bakke, Shellie Kieke, and Rob Krueger taught an integrated learning module this summer related to muscle physiology and used statistics to analyze physiological data. They also presented a poster related to this work at the National Association of Biology Teachers Conference in Minneapolis in November 2010. Concordia hosted twenty-four high school students and six college mentors for this experience.
For more information, download the 2010-2011 Brochure.
The Science Research Institute is funded in part by the Medtronic Foundation, the Boston Scientific Foundation, H.B. Fuller, and the F.R. Bigelow Foundation.
Here is what students had to say about the summer component of the SRI?
- "When we tried everything hands-on and experienced it?it was amazing."
- "?my knowledge in microbiology and environmental science has increased dramatically. The entire SRI summer program was a great experience.?."
- "I learned a lot, and when I found out it was college-level math I couldn?t believe it."
- "Doing the field work furthered my understanding of research? (college student)
- "I had so much fun with math and I love it. It was awesome."
- "Being able to learn alongside and encourage the high school students was very rewarding and fun. I look forward to mentoring next summer if possible.? (college student)
- "Being able to apply science to real life is so great!"
- "Everyone was fantastic, we all had fun. This would probably be my best summer ever!"
- "This was a really great experience and [I] would love to get more involved in math programs."
- "...thank you for giving me the college experience."
- "They [module leaders and college students] were all great ? helpful, patient with students, encouraging."
- "This program was one of the best experiences of my life."