Mobile | Campus Maps | Contact Us | Site Index

Special Education Teacher Education Program
Frequently Asked Questions

What Special Education licensure programs are available at CSP?

CSP has licensure programs in Learning Disabilities and Emotional/Behavioral Disorders. Both programs can be started at the undergraduate or graduate level, with or without an initial teaching license in elementary or secondary education.

Does CSP have an undergraduate major in Special Education?

No. CSP has an undergraduate minor in Special Education. The courses of the Special Education minor meet the requirements of the Special Education Core and   the primary theory course in learning disabilities and  emotion-behavior disordered licensure programs. Additional graduate credits (11-15), which includes the final experience,  are needed to complete either  licensure.

Do I need to have an undergraduate degree in education in order to get a Special Education license?

No. You need an undergraduate degree and the Minnesota Effective Practice core found in all education licensure programs. If you already have a MN teaching license, you have completed the Minnesota Effective Practice core. If you have a degree in another area, you must complete the MN Effective Practice core (15 credits) in addition to the Special Education licensure requirements.

If I already have a teaching license, what else do I need to take to complete a Special Education license?

You need to complete the courses in the Special Education Core and the specific licensure course requirements, a total of 29 credits for the learning disabilities licensure and 33 credits for the emotional-behavior disordered licensure. There are three courses (10 credits) which are different between the two licensures. Each licensure has its own final experience.

Is there a student teaching experience required?  Will I have to take off time to complete it?

There is a graduate level, supervised clinical experience required. It is completed within a school district, either as a university placement or as part of an on-site district teaching job. The final experience is offered every semester, including the summer semester.

If I?m working during the day, how can I take the classes in the program?

The Special Education licensure coursework is taught online at night or on the weekends during the regular academic year or in the summer session.

How long will it take me to complete the licensure program?

One initial Special Education licensure can be completed in 24 months. Both licensures can be completed in 28 months. 

How does Concordia's program compare to other Special Education programs in Minnesota?

Concordia University?s Special Education licensure program has features that make it a unique teacher preparation program. These features include
        -- Special coursework in working with English-Language Learners
        -- Two courses and a clinical experience difference between the learning disabilities and the emotional-behavioral disorder licenses, making dual licensure within easy reach, a total of 36  credits for both licensures
        -- Special coursework in integrating assistive technology into instruction of learners with special needs.
        -- 19 of the graduate licensure credits apply toward a Master's in Education in Differentiated Instruction.

What procedure do I follow for admission to the program?

Admission to the program starts with the regular student admission process found in the catalog or online at The second step involves the development of a licensure plan of study in person or by email with Dr. Julie (Jochum) Gartrell, 651-641-8822 or